When it comes to looks, many women pay special attention to the products they put on their skin, body & hair. Unfortunately, a lot of commercial products contain chemicals that do more harm than good. But there is always more natural ways to keep your body & skin healthy.
Take baking soda for it. It has hidden health benefits when used on its own. Most of you probably have baking soda in your kitchen. There are many benefits of baking soda aside from baking, though it can also be used for cleaning & keeping your freeze odor-free.
Not only that, but in recent years baking soda has made something of a name of itself in the health & beauty industry. According to studies, baking soda has a whole host of skincare benefits and can be used to treat many different skin issues.
Keep in mind that it is baking soda not baking powder, that is said to work as a skin treatment, So don’t get the two mixed up.
So, let’s get into our top health benefits of baking soda for the skin.
1. Acne Treatment:
Baking soda is said to be really good acne treatment and works as a mild exfoliant that helps remove dead skin cells and cleanse your pores.
You can use it for acne and blackheads, and it essentially dries out the excess oil that clogs your pores and causes these common skin ailment.
Its antibacterial properties also make baking soda a good preventive natural skin care remedy for acne breakouts.
How To Apply:
- You will need one tablespoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of water.
- Mix the two to form a smooth paste, then wash your hands and face.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel, then take the paste and massage it thoroughly onto the affected areas of your skin.
- Leave the paste for 2-3 minutes & then rinse it off with warm water.
2. Removing Scars And Blemishes:
Baking soda has proven to be incredibly effective in lightening scars and making them less visible in appearance.
Lemon juice and baking soda can also help you to achieve a more even skin tone, as they are pretty good at getting rid of dead skin cells.
How To Apply:
- Combine one tablespoon of lemon juice with one tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix until a smooth paste is formed, then wash your hands & face, before drying your face with a towel.
- Leave your face slightly damp, then apply the paste onto your acne scars, dark spots, or blemishes.
- Leave it for 4-5 minutes before washing off and finish with a natural moisturizer.
3. Lightening The Skin On Your Neck:
Certain areas of our skin are more prone to the build-up of dead cells, which can cause blemishes and discoloration.
Baking soda can remove dead cells through gently exfoliating the skin, it’s particularly useful in removing those tiny particles that may build up in unwanted areas of your neck over time.
How To Apply:
- For lightening the skin on your neck, you will need to mix a tablespoon of soda with half tablespoon of water.
- You are looking to make a thick grainy paste that will work best to exfoliate the skin, so don’t dilute it with too much water.
- Wash and pat dry your neck area, then apply the scrub in circular motions to the skin. Wash it off with water and moisturize with a body lotion to prevent dryness.
4. Softening & Lightening The Lips:
You may find that your lips take on a dry texture and a dark color. Sun exposure can also cause dark lips.
If you want your lips to regain their natural shade of lighter pink, baking soda can help.
It’s known for its exfoliating and bleaching properties, which make it ideal for use on damaged, dry & dark lips.
How To Apply:
- Mix some amount of baking soda and double the amount of honey to prevent the soda from being too harsh on the delicate skin of your lips.
- Apply the solution to your lips, rubbing in a small, circular motion.
- Leave it for a couple of minutes before gently wash it off with water and applying lip balm to complete the process.
5. Softening Feet:
If you don’t have the time to treat your feet to a lengthy pamper session, but you still want them feeling soft and looking their best, baking soda is your answer.
The exfoliating nature of baking soda enables it to remove dead skin cells from the soles of your feet, softening the skin, and even cleaning your toenails.
Baking soda is also a good antibacterial agent, which will help keep common infections at bay.
How To Apply:
- To treat your feet with baking soda fill a bucket or large bowl with warm water and stir in three tablespoons of baking soda.
- Let it dissolve, then soak your feet for ten minutes.
- Keep a pumice stone in hand in case want to exfoliate dead skin from your soles.
- Wash your feet with normal water and wipe them dry with a soft towel.
- Apply a moisturizing lotion and put on a pair of soft stretchy socks to keep your feet protected.
There are so many skincare benefits to be had to baking soda. Just remember that it is a drying agent, so you should not leave it on your skin for more than 5-10 minutes at a time.
Do a patch test on your skin before applying the baking soda all over. As some people are sensitive to the ingredient. Baking soda is effective in treating mils skin ailments, but all skin is different, so you may notice better or worse results than other people.
You should only use baking soda for skin maintenance, and not as a treatment for serious conditions.